Thursday, April 14, 2011

Week 3: Response to Curt Isakson


Curt said:
Chapter 5 - Leading From Any Chair. 
Before becoming a teacher, I was in retail management, and a very smart mentor told me 'your job is to make everyone else successful."  If I gave each employee a stake in the decisions, listened to their suggestions, and made sure they had the resources they needed, the employees really took ownership of the tasks at hand. I found my success came from everyone else's success.  I find this to be true in teaching, too.
In chapter 5 of The Art of Possibilities, the authors make the same supposition about passing on the leadership.  If everyone has input and a stake in the outcome, the results can be astounding. 
I believe that daily I try to not to 'cram' lessons into my students, but try to make leaders out of each one of them.  It doesn't always work, but I am always amazed and excited when the students can take ownership and become the teachers.


My Response:


I totally agree with you, Curt. Our job is to make everyone else successful, whether it is children or a team of teachers. When each person feels valued and has a ‘stake in the outcome’ we can really see something spectacular. I love that you have that attitude with your students. Watching young people or young children really take on a leadership role can be so rewarding. Then we know that they really get it.



No comments:

Post a Comment