Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Week 2: Wimba for Week 2

While listening to the Wimba from Week 2 I had many ah ha moments. I did not realize that titles were not copyrighted. I thought this was part of the book, but now that you mention it, that makes sense. No wonder there are many repeated titles.

I also wondered about the Black-eyed Peas song used by that middle school. I figured they had obtained permission, because I saw that Full Sail was involved. I loved that video!

I was also wondering about the fair use issue of a small amount. How small is very small? I hear you saying that there isn’t a definitive amount, yet I am still left wondering how small is small?

Also, I better understand what you mean when by “fair use is not a right, it is a legally defensible position”. You have to wait until you are sued before you can use it to defend yourself. Hopefully, I will never have to use that defense!

I don't understand the concept of not being able to play music in our classroom. If we buy a song from iTunes or even a CD from where ever, are we not allowed to play it in say our car or at a party we are throwing? Because technically we are sharing it with others if we do. Isn't that the same thing as when we play it in our classroom? That seems ridiculous to me. If when we buy music it is meant to be listened to by only the buyer then music might never be shared. That seems crazy!

Sounds like a content filled class. I am sorry I missed it.

1 comment:

  1. Great observations. When you purchase music whether by CD or download you are not actually "buying" the music, but are buying a license to play the music in a private setting. Also, by definition "school" is not a private setting, this includes private schools or even school dorms. That's why you cannot play music in a classroom without permission. Dr. Repp reminded me that some schools and school district buy blanket license that cover use of music in the classroom. But I'd check and not make the assumption that your district or school has made that purchase (licensing is NOT cheap).

    As for private parties, you're covered. But there are exceptions, so never assume that it's okay without checking first. Parties at restaurants and halls are usually covered because they do tend to pay licenses for public performances. Churches are supposed to also pay for the songs they perform. Sorry you missed the session too.

    ReplyDelete