One of the most compelling points bought across in this book, and what has stuck with me the longest, was the concept of giving an ‘A’ for a particular project to free one-self of the grade, and to let a person fully experiment, fail, or succeed without the worry of getting a bad grade. I believe this can be a wonderful way of letting loose the chains that bind us creatively.
I find myself in this course having to make decisions about whether I do what I really want to do (which usually is more involved), or just make sure I fit the criteria for the grade. Many times I have made the conclusion that I want the grade and have not taken it as far as I wanted to. The projects I am most proud of though are the ones that I really didn’t care about the grade and did what I felt was right in my mind.
This course has used this concept many times, and I use this same idea in the classes I teach. A ‘no-fail’ approach to some of my learning environments really brings out the best in my students.
@Curt,
I too, thought the giving an A was an effective way of allowing students to learn and express creativity without the constraints of the grade. I think this makes perfect sense in your learning environment. Without the pressure of the grade your students probably create some really amazing pieces of music. I wonder if in some cases that leads to doing the bare minimum? However, with your constant inspiration I am sure many take this opportunity to really shine.

No comments:
Post a Comment