Enrolling is not about forcing, cajoling, tricking, bargaining, pressuring, or guilt-tripping someone into doing something your way. Enrollment is the art and practice of generating a spark of possibility for others to share.
I Love this! Passion is the spark. Believing that you can make changes even when faced with obstacles is really what life is all about. It is the overcoming of these obstacles that often lead us to enlightenment and fulfillment. I often wonder why it takes me repeated attempts to succeed. I’ve always seen myself as having strong perseverance, but this book makes me think that I am meant to learn even more than that through the perseverance. Maybe it is meant to generate a spark of possibility in someone else. This thought also makes me think of another thought from the book that struck me so profoundly that being,
In a no we might need to take it less personally and ourselves less seriously- we might hear something else. We might hear someone saying, “I don’t see any new possibility here, so I think I’ll stick with my usual way of doing things.” We might hear within the word “no” an invitation for enrollment.
This is powerful stuff. It helps me believe in all of the possibilities… I so appreciate having read this book. It has been life changing.
Photo from Morgue Files

Trina, I bookmarked the exact same quote. Living a passionate life leaves you feeling happy and fulfilled. I love the idea of enrolling others and igniting a passion in them. It's such an inspiration, especially for teachers. Sparking some sort of fire or passion in a student is the goal of so many teachers, but we, ourselves, need to greet each day and experience with passion and enthusiasm.
ReplyDeleteGreat observations. When someone cannot find a way doesn't mean that there isn't a way, just that if there is one, the person cannot find it. Or as one characters in a comedy once said when told that there wasn't much of a chance of him getting together with the girl of his dreams, "So, you're saying that there is a chance!" :-)
ReplyDelete